Steps to build your own RV or Vanlife IC
- Search for RV parks for sale. They will already have hookups. If you want to set up a new place, make sure of what zoning allows. Many city and county codes do not allow living in vehicles. Often RVs or trailers cannot even be stored on a property that isn’t designated for storage, so check into the code carefully before purchasing property.
- Form a legal entity. You might keep spaces for short term travelers by making a corporate structure and renting, but it can still be a core group that owns the corporation, then all shareholders also are renters.
- Set up business accounting alongside a consultant who has experience with the business. Register for taxes.
- Obtain necessary permits, licenses, and business insurance.
- If you accept visitors passing thru, advertise your place at RVparky.com, or if in Canada, at hipcamp.com.
Escapees.com offers services such as a map directory of discount parks, a listing of co-op parks, job and worker listings, mail forwarding, roadside assistance, and interest-based communities.
A search for RV+community+cooperative will bring up several sites describing communities that are creating member-friendly group financed structures, putting people before profits.